Tomorrow the 10th of November the Nordic house in Iceland will host a series of lectures about Northern issues. The event focuses on the monitoring of environment and society and will include many very interesting lectures and topics. The Arctic Portal will be streaming the event live on the Arctic Portal. The broadcast will start tomorrow morning at 09:00 GMT.
- Address by Þorsteinn Gunnarsson, Chairman of the Icelandic cooperation board on Northern issues.
- Address by Svandís Svavarsdóttir, Icelandic Minister for the Environment.
- 09:15-09:45 Tom Barry, CAFF: Introduction to the Arctic Council and it's working group on Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (CAFF).
- 09:45-10:15 Hans H. Hansen, Environmental Agency: Risk assessment map of the North Atlantic, relevant to co-ordinated reaction strategy to environmental accidents.
- 10:30 Ingibjörg Jónsdóttir, University of Iceland: Sea Ice studies and monitoring in the North.
- 11:00-11:30 Árni Einarsson, Natural research center Mývatn Iceland: Þingeyingar for a thousand years.
- 11:30-12:00 Starri Heiðmarsson, The Icelandic Institute of Natural History: Esja mountains and the glacier Breiðarmerkurjökull.
- 12:50 Oddur Vilhelmsson, University of Akureyri: The Microbiology flora in Glerár river- a practical model for monitoring on environmental implications due to climate and pollution in the North or not?
- 13:20- 13:50 Embla Eir Oddsdóttir, Stefansson Arctic Institute: The advance toward the North, risk, safety and adaption of coastal towns due to climate change and increased shipping in the North.
14:00-15:00 Round Table discussion:
The status of research, monitoring and international cooperation in the North
Discussion moderator: Kristján Kristjánsson, University of Reykjavík
- Guðrún Nína Petersen, Icelandic Met Office
- Hallgrímur Jónasson, The Icelandic Center for Research (Rannis)
- Ragnheiður E. Þorsteinsdóttir, Minestry of foreign affairs
- Helgi Jensson, The Environment Agency of Iceland
- Níels Einarsson, Stefanson Arctic Institute
- Þóra Ellen Þórhallsdóttir, University of Iceland
15:00-16:00 Memorial lecture on Vilhjálmur Stefánsson, The Arctic Explorer
Professor Þóra Ellen Þórhallsdóttir
The event will cover many of the most exciting topics within the Arctic region, the broadcast can be seen on the Arctic Portal front-page or by following this link