The Impacts of an Ice-Diminishing Arctic on Naval and Maritime Operations symposium will be held this year on July 17 and 18 at the Ronald Reagan Building Amphitheater in Washington, D.C. This biennial, two-day symposium will feature experts addressing Arctic marine operations, ocean and environmental issues, science, policy, law, and governance.
Please check here for full, updated agenda details.
Featured Speakers Include:
- Senator Lisa Murkowski, US Senator for Alaska
- Senator Angus King, US Senator for Maine
- Admiral Karl L. Schultz, Commandant, US Coast Gaurd
- Rear Admiral (ret., USN) Tim Gallaudet, Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, and Deputy NOAA Administrator
- Fran Ulmer, Chair, US Arctic Research Commission
- Ambassador Kåre R. Aas, Ambassador of Norway to the United States
Speakers and panelists (55+ confirmed as of June 10) will share their specific perspectives on the impacts of an ice-diminishing Arctic on marine transportation; federal, state, local, and international operations; security; scientific research; infrastructure; investments; and policy implications in the region.
Examples of Session Topics Include:
- Pacific, Atlantic, and Global Views of the Arctic
- Perspectives from Arctic Alaska Native Regional Corporation CEOs
- Operational Ice Centers
- US Coast Guard's Arctic Perspectives
- The Russian Maritime Arctic
- Great-Power Competition in the Arctic
Please join the symposium's co-hosts, the US Arctic Research Commission, the Wilson Center's Polar Institute, the US National Ice Center, the Arctic Domain Awareness Center, the Patuxent Partnership, St. Mary's College of Maryland, and the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center for a reception following the symposium at 5:00pm on July 17.
Participants are invited to present posters on science, technology, operations, or other related subjects. The deadline for submitting a poster has been extended to July 10. For more information, please check here or contact LTJG Bryan Brasher.
This event will be streamed live and recorded. Information from prior symposia, including speakers, video clips, and presentations, is available here.