Ilisimatusarfik, the University of Greenland, seeks a social science professor on impact of climate change on Greenlandic society. The position is a five-year appointment starting as soon as possible.
The professorship is part of the agreement between Denmark and Greenland on the formation of the Greenland Climate Research Centre. The purpose of the social science aspect of the climate research centre is to describe and assess the impact of climate change on Greenlandic society, including culture, economy, industry, technology, etc., and furthermore to develop adaptation strategies. Another objective is to build an academic environment within social science research on the development of Greenlandic society in relation to climate change.
The purpose of the professorship is to build a social science environment with a focus on climate research at Ilisimatusarfik in close cooperation with the natural science and technical research communities at the Greenland Climate Research Centre.
The professorship will provide research, based on fundamental research and with a perspective in relation to long-term societal development scenarios, in the following main areas:
- climate change impact on adaptation strategies of the population
- climate change impact on economic development, industrialisation and infrastructure
- climate change influence on management of living resources
The professorship will ensure the development and implementation of education and communication activities related to the subject areas of the professorship.
The professorship will organisationally be part of the department of social sciences or any other appropriate department of the Ilimmarfik Institute. An agreement of cooperation between Ilisimatusarfik and Greenland Climate Research Centre will be elaborated.
Profile and qualifications
The successful candidate will:
- Have experience in establishing and managing research
- Have experience in establishing multi-disciplinary research
- Have extensive insight in Greenlandic and/or arctic conditions
- Have high-level research skills in relation to the interaction between climate and society
The appointment as professor with special responsibilities requires that the candidate is judged qualified by an appointments committee. The appointments committee is appointed in accordance with Greenlandic regulations.
The application must include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Complete and numbered list of publications, detailing the 10-15 works the applicant wishes to submit for assessment of scientific qualifications
- Originals or copies of each selected publications / work
- Detailed overview of research guidance experience
- Teaching experience portfolio
- Detailed overview of any other qualifications relevant to the position
- Research plan
Salary and employment conditions
Salary and employment conditions, including the right to an initial and final moving allowance and transportation of furniture, are laid out in accordance with the current agreement between Greenland Self Government and the trade union of the employee at the time of recruitment / resignation. The position is based in Nuuk.
Housing will be made available for the position, for which a deposit, rent etc. will be payable. However, a waiting period should be expected for allocation of permanent housing due to the current situation in Nuuk. A period in temporary accommodation in a vacant property should be expected.
Deadline for applications
Applications must be received by the University no later than 1 May 2011. Applications should be forwarded to:
For further information about the Ilisimatusarfik - University of Greenland, please visit their homepage
For further information about the Greenland Climate Research Centre, please visit their homepage