The Board of Directors of the Inupiat Community of the Arctic Slope (ICAS), Barrow, Alaska, respectfully request you to be a presenter at our annual Environmental Justice Conference to be held in Barrow, AK, January 11th and 12th, 2011. The conference theme is Effects of Industrial Development on the Arctic Inupiat with an emphasis on environmental justice. Our purpose is to prepare for off shore and on shore development in and near the Beaufort and Chuckchi Seas and learn about the potential for new shipping lanes in the Arctic Ocean.
The Federal EPA describes Environmental Justice as:
-the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies. EPA has this goal for all communities and persons across this Nation. It will be achieved when everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards and equal access to the decision-making process to have a healthy environment in which to live, learn, and work.
Potential topics are:
- Environmental Justice History
- Planned Projects in oil and gas development
- Barriers to Inupiat participation in the development process
- How these developments currently and in the future affect Inupiat communities (Village speakers)
- Potential effects of development on the Arctic environment, ice cellars, and subsistence culture
- Current Environmental laws including the environmental impact statement
- Proposing changes to environmental reviews to include traditional knowledge
- Strengthening efforts to integrate environmental justice into EPA
- Off shore development
- General discussion on the Arctic environment
- Related legislation
- Impact on development of employment for Inupiat communities
- Existing resources
- International movement of environmental justices (what works)
- Human Environmental Impact
- Global Warming/Climate Change
To be considered as a presenter, you must send an outline of your presentation to Price Leavitt by November 18th, 2010. You will be notified by email and telephone if you are accepted as a presenter. Send presentations to: Price Leavitt, P.O. Box 934, Barrow, AK 99723 or .
Should there be a large number of appropriate presentations received, a few may be requested to present in panel form.
Presenters are responsible for travel related costs. ICAS has reserved a block of rooms at Top of the World at a cost of $159.00 per night plus 5% tax for single or double occupancy. The rooms are being held under the group name: ICAS Conference and will be held until December 21, 2010 and thereafter will be available to the general public. Reservations may be made by emailing or by calling (907) 852-3900. Scholarships may become available.
Hot breakfasts and lunches will be provided for all participants. Presenters will need to provide their own equipment and handouts for presentations.