Experts will discuss the future of the Arctic Council during a live roundtable discussion on July 20, Wednesday, 5:00-6:00 pm Moscow Standard Time.
According to Ambassador-at-Large of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chairman of the Committee for Senior Officials of the Arctic Council Nikolay Korchunov, “a forced pause in full-fledged activities of the Arctic Council on the background of decisions by seven Arctic countries will inevitably result in escalation of risks and challenges to soft security in the Arctic, which have been previously effectively resolved by this organization”.
What is the importance of the Arctic Council in resolution of today's problems? Participants of the roundtable “The Arctic Council: Future Scenarios for the International Forum” will discuss this and other questions.
The roundtable will become the first event of the series of expert roundtables “Arctic Sessions”. The project has received a grant of the Gorchakov Fund and is implemented by the Center for Support of International Journalism RBMC in partnership with the Project Office for Arctic Development (PORA).
Participants of the roundtable:
- Nikolay Korchunov, Ambassador-at-Large of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chairman of the Committee for Senior Officials of the Arctic Council;
- Nikolay Doronin, Chairman of the Management Board of the Project Office for Arctic Development;
- Lassi Heininen, Professor of the Arctic Policy, University of Lapland, Finland;
- Yan Cheng, Professor of Shanghai University for International Studies, Executive Director of Shanghai Academy of Global Governance and Area Studies, China;
- K.M. Seethi, Professor International Relations and Politics, Mahatma Gandhi University, India;
- Moderator: Pavel Devyatkin, Research Fellow, The Arctic Institute, USA.
When: On July 20, Wednesday, 5:00-6:00 pm Moscow Standard Time.
A live discussion will be available to watch on the YouTube channel of PORA.
Source: The Gorchakov Fund