A seminar hosted by the Institute for International Affairs at the University of Iceland in cooperation with Varðberg - Atlantic Treaty Association Iceland and North American Arctic Defence and Security Network will be held on Wednesday, June 7, 2023, at the National Museum of Iceland in Reykjavík.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has transformed the security landscape in the Arctic, a region that has been characterized by effective cooperation and low tension. The implications of growing strategic competition and the potential of increased military engagement in the Arctic push allies and partners to discuss and assess the need to strengthen their collective security in the region. The new security environment poses challenges for Arctic governance on how to cooperate and address common challenges like societal security, climate change, and economic development.
- 09:30 Registration and coffee.
- 10:00 Welcome: Pia Hansson, Director of the Institute of International Affairs, University of Iceland and Davíð Stefánsson, President of Varðberg.
- 10:10 Opening session: Þórdís Kolbrún Reykfjörð Gylfadóttir, Minister for Foreign Affairs.
- 10:20 A transformed security landscape in the Arctic and the North Atlantic. How can allies and partners strengthen their collective security in the region?
- Keynote: James Fergusson, Deputy Director, Centre for Defence and Security Studies, University of Manitoba.
- Panel Discussion: Silja Bára Ómarsdóttir, Professor of International Relations, University of Iceland.
- Jónas Allansson, Director General, Directorate for Defence, Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
- Whitney Lackenbauer, Director North American and Arctic Defence and Security Network.
- 11:45 Light lunch
- 12:45 New challenges to Arctic governance
- Keynote: Marc Lanteigne, Associate Professor of Political Science, University of Tromsø.
- Panel Discussion: Guðbjörg Ríkey Th. Hauksdóttir, PhD researching China-Russia Arctic relations, University of Iceland.
- Davíð Stefánsson, President of Varðberg.
- Andrea Charron, Director, Centre for Defence and Security Studies, University of Manitoba.
- 14:00 Coffee
- 14:15 Addressing societal challenges in the Arctic. How to maintain effective cooperation in gender equality, societal security, environmental sustainability, and economic development despite growing strategic competition?
- Keynote: Bridget Larocque, NAADSN Co-Lead, Chair of Northern Advisory Board.
- Panel Discussion: Bjarni Már Magnússon, Professor in Law, Bifröst University.
- Sóley Kaldal, Lead negotiator of international fisheries agreement, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Fisheries.
- Andrea Charron, Director, Centre for Defence and Security Studies.
- 15:30 Overview of Interests and Perspectives, Whitney Lackenbauer, Director of NAADSN.
- 15:50 Closing Remarks: Hlynur Guðjónsson, Iceland’s Ambassador to Canada.
- 16:00 Reception
The seminar is moderated by Pia Hansson, Director of the Institute of International Affairs, University of Iceland.